Monday, December 6, 2010

Local Lettuces

by Lauren Willson

Radishes, bok choy, apples, and anchovy paste. Reading those food items probably did not make you drool on the page. However, these foods are real, grown by real people, and served in a locale not far from where it was grown.

Genetically engineered food specifically designed to tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more abounds in American food culture today. As obesity rates demonstrate, people are addicted to food. One restaurant attempting to change the way Americans perceive food nestles in the heart of downtown Athens. Farm 255, located off of West Washington Street, functions in the most traditional and non-traditional ways of serving food. Traditional in the sense that food is grown on a farm about 20 minutes away; non-traditional in the sense that, who does that?!

As a recent adoptee of the gluten-free diet, I have accepted a bittersweet detachment from foods containing any form of wheat. My menu options have been reduced to salads and the occasional potato, which is why I ended up with the medley of less-than delectable foods listed at the beginning of this review. When the farm says anchovy, they are not kidding. I attempted to salvage the organic goods with a heavy dose of spicy mustard, however my attempts were met with a crinkled nose and pursed lips. It was simply inedible. Even if the anchovy had not been present, the fresh veggies were extremely difficult to chew as they had been cut into large hunks.

However, not all was lost. One taste of the butternut squash soup and my faith was restored. I happily accepted the last bites of a decadent, creamy mushroom polenta my supper mate offered me. The polenta was cooked to the perfect al dente, and a slight drizzle of truffle oil made the umami flavor in the shiitakes spread over my palate like room temperature butter.

Prior to my loss of eating wheat products, I ordered the burger every time I went to the Farm. I fondly remember it’s succulent, rich flavor as one of the best burger experiences I’ve ever had. Served rare, which the restaurant can confidently do since they don’t have to worry about meat contamination, the chef puts a foodie twist on the toppings with different cheeses and whatever’s farm fresh. Made from grass-fed beef, this is a burger you can feel good about eating.

The farm expanded its ventures with a daily food cart that serves a variety of lunch items. Nothing can be expected when you visit the restaurant, and the same goes for the little cart parked outside the front door. You can also look for the Farm Cart weekly at the Athens Farmers Market.

Despite it’s occasional faux pas, the Farm 255 provides more than just food. It’s a rare experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment