Saturday, December 4, 2010

Add Drug


by Amelia Rossi

In the charming Athens area of 5 points, there is a hidden burger and fries joint located within the nondescript drugstore, Add Drug. The drugstore has been local favorite of families and students since the 1960s, providing an appetizing, cheap lunch for just as long.

The drugstore looks as though it never left the fifties, which only adds to the experience. With only two waitresses, who both resemble the chain-smoking school bus driver in Forrest Gump, the drugstore-diner is able to serve approximately 25 people who sit at the bar on classic red vinyl bar stools. The menus, well, there are no individual menus … instead everything is listed on a lit-up board, similar to one you might find at a little league concession stand. You’ll be surprised to find out that almost everything on the menu costs less than five dollars, perfect for the budget of a college student.

My Add Drug experience was exactly what I expected once my friend and I sat down, took a gander at the menu, were awed at the prices, and quickly decided on several items to chomp on. Our waitress was prompt, kind and even suggested we try their homemade sweet tea, which was beyond refreshing and sweet, and/or a handmade milkshake. We ordered a variety of foods from the menu, which consisted of the classic hamburgers and fries, and southern favorites such as a tomato sandwich and a grilled pimento cheese sandwich with tomato, and a not so common “Steak-Umm” with cheese and grilled onions. Each item ordered satisfied our desire for artery clogging yummy-ness.

The hamburger and fries were comparable in taste to a Johnny Rocket’s burger and fries, except Add Drug’s fries were crinkled and a little crispy. The condiments and topping on the burger are what stood out in my mind; the tomato, chopped white onion, and fresh iceberg lettuce were amazingly fresh and ripe. Rumor has it that Add Drug gets their produce from the neighboring organic grocery store, Earth Fare. This could explain why the toppings tasted exceptionally great atop a greasy burger, or as the main ingredient in the tomato sandwich. The tomato sandwich didn’t need anything but its toasted wheat bread, dab of mayo and the full-grown tomato. The hamburger and tomato sandwich did not fail me, or my friend, in any way.

What exactly is a “Steak-umm” sandwich? It sounds like “Manwich,” which just sounds disgusting. But, this delectable pre-made, and frozen sliced steak is the best thing that’s happened since sliced bread. The product’s original creation was to be used for Philly cheese steaks because it is so thin and easy to slice. Steak-umm cooks up on the grill in a matter of minutes, is placed on a grilled burger bun and topped with grilled, chopped onions and melted cheese. Every bite you take simply melts in your mouth (and, of course, your arteries) and you simply can’t resist taking another bite. I couldn’t get over how much my friend and I loved the Steak-umm, and could not stop talking about it.

The last item we treated ourselves to was the Southern classic, a pimento-grilled cheese sandwich with the added grilled tomato. It became another instant favorite, just like the Steak-umm. The sandwich begins with your basic sliced bread that you can find in any grocery store, but it is buttered up and slammed with a massive scoop of pimento cheese. It’s placed on the grill next to the tomato, and when done these two are smacked together to entice and love your taste buds.

The Add Drug experience is simple and satisfying if you want fast, greasy, scrumptious American food. Remember to bring to cash, since it is technically a “drugstore,” you can’t tip with your credit card. After filling your prescriptions at Add Drug, you’ll soon find out you won’t need them anymore because their food is a cure-all.

2 comments:

  1. I guess it's my own fault for never having been in there, but I had no idea there was a restaurant inside Add Drug. I'm not usually in the five points area, but that steak-umm sounds delicious. I just might have to break that never eat food from a drugstore diner I didn't know existed rule I didn't know I had and try this place next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a really good addition because it is one of those easily overlooked spots. I will definitely have to swing by now that I will be unemployed and living in Athens port-graduation with nothing to do. Maybe I should apply to work there.

    -B

    ReplyDelete