Monday, December 6, 2010

Gladys and Ron's Chicken and Waffles: More Than the Soul Food

by Taronda Gibbons

If you’re looking for Southern hospitality and a nice atmosphere, Gladys Knight and Ron Winans’ Chicken and Waffles is a nice restaurant to visit. Named after the two famous singers, the menu is music themed with appetizers listed as “Opening Acts” and meals called “Grammy Winners.”

Despite offerings of soul food and Southern dishes, no pork is served. My picky eating best friend enjoys their soul food, but I don’t. I do enjoy their food, just not their soul food.

Having been to the small eatery in downtown Atlanta several times, I am a fan. A few weeks ago, if I had been asked why I like eating there, I would have replied, “I don’t k

now. I just like their food.” However, after this visit, I realize that it is more than the food drawing me to a venue, which advertises servings of chicken and waffles together.

I never have to worry about asking for a booth because the seating is booth styled with only a few chairs placed on the outside of a couple of tables. The lighting is just right as if it’s set to create a romantic aura while R&B and oldies music plays softly. The walls are flanked with pictures of celebrities.

I’ve only been to this location, which opened in 1997, but there is another in Lithonia. I like the convenient downtown location. A downside is that if you’re unfamiliar with the area, you may be unprepared for the stragglers outside begging for money. Also, park only between the red striped lines in the lot behind the building because if not you’ll get booted.

Once inside the cozy establishment, the wait to be seated may range from half an hour to two hours. I’ve never stuck around if the time is longer than 45 minutes, but once I’m seated and order, the food usually doesn’t take longer than 15 or 20 minutes to arrive.

I like trying new things, but I’m a firm believer that sometimes you should stick to what you know. I always clean my typical plate of Southern fried shrimp, grits with cheese, and cinnamon raisin toast served with their special Georgia Peach Butter, which is peach jam. This time I tried the salmon croquettes and grits instead and found myself leaving the dry and bland salmon patties within three bites. No, thank you. I love spices.

After trying their chicken and waffles on a previous visit, I concluded that I don’t like chicken and waffles together. The wings, advertised as jumbo, are exactly that. I’d prefer to eat pieces of chicken that don’t look genetically altered. The waffle was edible, but it could have just as well been the frozen Eggo waffles sold in the grocery store. I expected the food to be better since the restaurant is named after this dish.

My best friend’s usual soul food dish of smothered chicken with rice, collard greens and macaroni and cheese disappointed me. Their greens and mac and cheese are not my grandma’s freshly prepared greens and home made mac and cheese, that’s for sure. Eyeing the smothered chicken, I took a bite and the chicken breast was tough. The waiter was nice enough to bring another serving of my friend’s entire meal even though she was happy with the sides she ordered.

The garlic shrimp appetizer and the peach cobbler desert were nice touches to the meal as a tasty opener and a sweet ending. Maybe that night wasn’t the best I’ve had at the restaurant, but that won’t stop me for going back for my Southern shrimp and grits.

2 comments:

  1. I've passed this restaurant several times (my friend living around the corner from it), and have always wanted to check it out. Being from the South, it's hard not to be attracted to true Southern/Soul food. I'm a little dissappointed to find that the food was only sub-par, but it only deters me a little from still going. I can't wait to try the shrimp and grits, it's a personal favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a restaurant called Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in California, and I'd been dying to visit there every time I take visit to the West Coast. I didn't realize Atlanta housed a similar style restaurant that boasted the "chicken and waffles" combination. Fortunately, I don't have a homestyle soul food dish to compare to, so I think I still may take my chance on the combination when I take a trip there.

    ReplyDelete